Inspiration: 20 Ways with Leftover Bolognese
Do you ever get stuck for ideas when you want to get creative with leftover spaghetti bolognese sauce? Whether it’s leftover’s from the night before or a batch pulled out of the freezer when we get stuck for inspiration there’s no better people to ask than the community of One Handed Cooks on our Facebook page.
Earlier we asked, “What do you do to leftover bolognese to make it interesting?”
Here are the fab responses for your own inspiration, and we’ve linked some of our own recipes that you might like to try.
Nutrition Note: Use extra veggies and/or legumes to bulk up any bolognese leftovers for a nutritious boost (it helps the leftovers go a bit further too).
20 Ways with Leftover Bolognese
4. Chilli con carne – reheat leftover bolognese in a saucepan or fry pan with some chilli or cayenne pepper and a tin of red kidney beans for a cheat’s chilli con carne.
5. Savoury crepes
6. Cottage/shepherds pie – half fill a baking dish with bolognese sauce, top with mashed potato and cheese and bake in the oven for around 35-40 minutes.
7. Stuffed capsicum – slice the top of a capsicum or halve it lengthways, fill with bolognese sauce, top with cheese and bake in the oven for around 25 mintues.
8. Stuffed zucchini – halve a zucchini lengthways, scoop out the middle, fill with bolognese sauce, top with cheese and bake in the oven until hot.
9. Baked potatoes – scoop out some of the flesh of a baked potato, top with reheated bolognese sauce and grated cheese.
10. Cannelloni – fill cannelloni tubes with bolognese sauce, top with bechemal and grated cheese and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
11. Tacos or burritos – fill taco shells or tortillas/mountain bread with bolognese and top with grated carrot, grated cheese, finely diced red onion, tomato and yoghurt.
12. Fajitas – layer refried beans and bolognese sauce on mountain bread or homemade tortillas, wrap it up and sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake until the cheese melts, top with mashed avocado and a dollop of yoghurt.
13. Spinach and cheese/feta pastry triangles – wrap bolognese sauce, spinach and grated cheese or feta in puff or filo pastry and bake until golden.
14. Pizza – use the spaghetti bolognese as the base for sweet potato and zucchini pizza.
15. Salad rolls, sandwiches or wraps – reheat the bolognese sauce and use as a filling on sandwiches etc and top with cheese and salad.
16. Vol au vents
17. Toasted sandwiches
18. Spring rolls
19. Spaghetti bolognese frittata
20. NachosJoin us on Facebook for other foodie bits and pieces.