After months of sterilising, washing, and wiping it is only natural to worry about food preparation and storage when your baby starts solids. I know I am always getting really confused about how long to refrigerate, and freeze and how best to label. We have kept this really basic, in the hope its simplicity will help you out.
- Invest in some decent BPA free baby food storage containers. The ice-cube style with lids are perfect for single serve purees.
- Once frozen, pop out the purees and place in a freezer proof plastic bag. Label each bag with ingredients and the date it was frozen.
- Cover, cool and refrigerate cooked meat immediately.
- Keep cooked food for no more than two days in airtight containers.
- After you have cooked a meal, add a bit of extra boiled water then freeze immediately in small portions.
- Every evening select from the freezer the food you plan to feed your baby the following day, and place in the fridge to defrost overnight.
- Do not refreeze meals that have already been thawed.
- If in doubt, throw it out.
|Cooked fruits and vegetables
Join us on Facebook for other foodie bits and pieces.