Pick ‘N’ Mix Rice Paper Rolls with Two Dipping Sauces2013-01-23
- Yield : Approx. 20 rolls
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 45m
I love rice paper rolls and I have been meaning to make these for the blog ever since I joined One Handed Cooks. I must admit however, if you are making them all at once you will need a bit of extra time up your sleeve and two hands. BUT, if you prepare all the ingredients in advance and share the assembly of these rolls with your kids (if they are old enough), family or friends I think they definitely classify as a one handed cook recipe! They are fresh, healthy, tasty and perfect for picnics, snacks, parties or even dinner on hot summer nights.
Tip #1: Remember to choose appropriate ingredients and textures for your children.
Tip #2: Try to make your sliced meat and vegetables all similar lengths for ease of rolling, approx 5 cm.
Tip #3: If you make only 1 dipping sauce we recommend you double the quantity.
Tip #4: These are best eaten straight away, however if you are making them in advance wrap them in a damp tea towel and place in the fridge to prevent them from drying out.
Nutrition Note: Choose vegetables of a variety of colours to include in your rolls to ensure they both provide a wide variety of nutrients and look as good as they taste.Join us on Facebook for other foodie bits and pieces.
- 1 packet of 16cm rice paper rounds (minimum 20 rounds but allow extra for breakages)
- 125 g vermicelli rice noodles, cooked according to packet instructions
- Pick 'N' Mix protein options - choose your favourites:
- 200 g of either or a mix of cooked beef, pork, chicken, prawn or firm tofu, finely sliced into approx 5 cm lengths.
- Pick 'N' Mix vegetable options - choose your favourites:
- At least 2-3 cups of carrot - grated or finely sliced, snow peas - topped, tailed & finely sliced, lettuce - finely shredded, cucumber - peeled if necessary & finely julienned,
- Pick 'N' Mix herb options - choose your favourites:
- Thai or sweet basil, mint, coriander
- Hoisin and Peanut Dipping Sauce: (Note this sauce contains WHEAT and GLUTEN)
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar (optional)
- 2 tbsp water
- Vietnamese Dipping Sauce:
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 small clove garlic, finely chopped
- (1 small chilli, seeded and finely chopped - adults only version!)
To assemble the rice paper rolls: -
Have all your rice noodles and pick n mix fillings at arms reach. FIll a large bowl or baking dish with hot water and place a damp tea towel on a flat surface (e.g benchtop or chopping board). Note: luke warm or cold water is also suitable if children are helping to assemble the rolls. -
Soak a rice paper round in the water for a couple of minutes or until it has softened, shake off any excess water and place on the damp tea towel. -
Top the rice paper with some vermicelli noodles, your pick n mix protein, vegetable and herb options. -
To roll the rice paper, fold in one of the long edges, tuck in the sides and continue to roll up. -
To make the hoisin and peanut dipping sauce: Place the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. -
To make the vietnamese dipping sauce: Place all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine making sure the sugar has dissolved. -
Arrange the rice paper rolls on a platter with the dipping sauces and serve. -
Average Member Rating
(3.8 / 5)
18 people rated this recipe