Pick ‘n’ Mix Egg & Vegetable Fried Rice2012-10-31
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 20m
Pick ‘N’ Mix Egg & Vegetable Fried Rice
Sometimes I cook too much rice on purpose so I can make fried rice for dinner the next night using the leftovers. It’s homely and healthy. And with some eggs in the fridge, a spare chicken breast in the freezer and vegetables that need to be used up there’s no need to go to the supermarket either. Winner!
Nutrition Note: Try using brown rice as a more nutritious alternative to white rice. Many of the nutrients and most of the fibre is lost during the processing of brown rice into white. And because it requires less processing brown rice is a more environmentally friendly option too!
This recipe was featured in the One Handed Cooks Magazine Issue #1. Yep, you can buy it online while stocks last here. For more great recipe ideas pick up the latest mag today in Coles and all good Newsagents.Join us on Facebook for other foodie bits and pieces.
- 2 eggs
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon reduced salt light soy sauce (or gluten free reduced salt tamari)
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or peanut oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups cold cooked brown rice (or white)
- 1/2 tablespoon reduced salt light soy sauce (or gluten free reduced salt tamari), extra
- (Pick 'n' Mix protein options - use your choice of the following)
- 250g cooked prawns, sliced chicken, pork or beef, OR 4 rashes of rindless bacon cooked and chopped, OR 150 g chopped ham, OR 150g firm tofu, sliced.
- (Pick 'n' Mix vegetable options: approx. 1 cup of a mix of the following)
- Peas, sweetcorn, finely diced carrot, celery, asparagus, capsicum.
Place eggs in a bowl with spring onions, soy sauce or tamari and ginger and lightly beat with a fork to combine. -
Heat the oil in a large frypan or a wok over medium to high heat. -
Add the onion and your finely diced pick 'n' mix vegetables and stir-fry for 2 minutes. If you are using frozen peas and corn kernels add them here and stir-fry until the vegetables are cooked. -
Pour in the egg mixture and leave to cook for 10 seconds before folding egg mixture over onto itself with a spatula and lightly scrambling for about 1 minute or almost cooked through. -
Add rice, your pick 'n' mix protein option and extra soy sauce and stir-fry for about 1-2 minutes, breaking up the egg into smaller pieces. -
Serve into bowls and enjoy. -
Average Member Rating
(4 / 5)
12 people rated this recipe