Chicken and Vegetable Pink Rice2012-09-11
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 30m
Awww, pretty pink food. The colour is beautiful, but when eating beetroot it’s always a good idea to keep a mat under the highchair, as I discovered a few minutes too late.
Nutrition Note: Not just pretty in pink, but also nutritious, with the beetroot providing some powerful antioxidants in this dish.
* To cook the beetroot, either boil (boil in water about 20 – 30 mins) or roast (200oC for about 50 mins) in the oven until tender. Peel under cool running water, and puree.
Note: store bought stock generally contains added salt and gluten – in general homemade is best or check for gluten free specified, if required for allergy purposes.Join us on Facebook for other foodie bits and pieces.
- 1 cup cooked rice (I use brown)
- 200g chicken, diced into small chunks
- 1 small tin creamed corn
- 1/4 leek, finely sliced
- 1 cup sweet potato, diced
- 1/4 cup beetroot puree*
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 cup salt reduced vegetable stock* (or make your own)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- *Note: store bought stock often contain gluten.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium. Sauté the leek for a few minutes or until soft,
then add the chopped chicken and brown all over. -
Add the sweet potato, carrot and stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a simmer,
cover and leave for 5 minutes or until sweet potato is soft. Add the beetroot puree and creamed
corn and cook for a further 5 minutes - or until the vegies are tender. -
Blend mixture until you have desired consistency. Stir through the cooked rice.
Serve fresh and freeze remaining in small portions. -
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe