Creamy Vegetable Bake2012-07-20
- Servings : 8-10 Toddler
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 1:45 h
- Ready In : 2:0 h
The weather at the moment is gorgeous. Crisp air, blue skies, crunchy leaves, my absolute favourite. I am embracing the cool times with all sorts of stews, soups and bakes. I kept this veggie bake very simple and it was nice and light so Harry could enjoy it too.I think it’s even better the next day as it firms up nicely.Join us on Facebook for other foodie bits and pieces.
- ¾ cup of thickened cream
- ¾ cup of milk
- 1 medium garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- ½ brown onion, thinly sliced
- 3 large desiree potatoes, thinly sliced (3-4mm use a mandolin if you have one)
- 2 large zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 large parsnip, thinly sliced
- ½ butternut pumpkin, thinly sliced
- 1 cup, firmly packed grated cheese
- ½ cup breadcrumbs (optional)
- Salt and pepper (optional)
Preheat oven to 200 degrees (180°C fan forced)
Peel, slice and prepare vegetables. Start with a potato layer, then parsnip, pumpkin, more potato, zucchini, more potato.
Combine the cream, milk, onion and garlic in a pouring jug. Pour the cream mixture over the top and cover with baking paper and aluminium foil. Bake for 1hour and 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
Increase oven temperature to 220°C (200 fan forced). Remove the baking paper and foil, sprinkle with combined breadcrumbs and grated cheese. Bake for a further 20 minutes
Allow the vegetable bake to stand for 10 minutes before serving to let the sauce completely thicken